RECOMMENDATIONS FOR DOG OWNERS
Pet ownership carries with it the responsibility of being proactive in health care. There are certain steps that you should take to prevent health problems. We recommend the following:
- Keep vaccinations current
- Brush frequently to keep hair coat from matting.
- Clip toenails as needed to prevent overgrowth.
- Keep plenty of fresh water available and monitor its consumption.
- Keep other pets from preventing this one from free access to food and water.
- Weigh your dog on the same scale and record results at least every 60 days.
- Give heartworm prevention year-round.
EARLY SIGNS OF DISEASE
There are many early signs of disease that can easily be interpreted as insignificant or even normal. We recommend that you present your dog for an examination for any of the following:
- Sustained, significant increase in water consumption. (Abnormal is intake greater than 50 ml/#/day or approximately 1.5 cups (8 oz cups)/day or 12 oz total per 10 pounds of body weight.)
- Sustained, significant increase in urination.
- Weight loss.
- Significant decrease in appetite or failure to eat for more than two consecutive days.
- Significant increase in appetite.
- Repeated vomiting.
- Diarrhea that lasts over 3 days.
- Difficulty in passing stool or urine.
- A break in housetraining habits.
- Lameness that lasts more than 5 days, or lameness in more than one leg.
- Noticeable decrease in vision, especially if sudden in onset or pupils that do not constrict in bright light.
- Masses, ulcerations (open sores), or multiple scabs on the skin that persist more than 1 week.
- Foul mouth odor or drooling that lasts over 2 days.
- Increasing size of the abdomen.
- Increasing inactivity or amount of time spent sleeping.
- Hair loss, especially if accompanied by scratching or if in specific areas (as opposed to generalized).
- Breathing heavily or rapid at rest.
- Inability to chew or eat dry food.
Thank you so much for taking care of our Baxter. We miss him terribly, but it helps to know that he was receiving the best care in his final days. We appreciate all that you have done for him. He will live in our memories forever. Thank you.
For our pet Baxter
The young lady who tended to Snowball was so sweet. I liked her so much I am happy that I was referred here and I am here to stay! Thanks so much.
For our pet Snowball
To Dr. McNabb and his crew of kind and caring wonderful people. We say thanks for your consideration of our great loss and sorrow.
for Dr. McNabb
I can't thank you enough for your kindness and thoughtfulness when we had to bid our Molly farewell.
For our pet Molly
I just wanted to tell you thank you from the bottom of my heart for all you did for me and my family. Fred was a very big part of our family and his passing was very hard, but all your help made it much easier. Thank you again.
For our pet Fred
Thank you for helping me say goodbye to my dear doggie, Jake. It has been very hard for me, but Jake would want me to be happy and go on, so I will try. You are all very special to me – Thank You.
For our doggie Jake
Thank you so much for taking such good care of Cody – he was with us for additional time thanks to you. We are grief struck and it's hard to deal with, even though we knew it was coming. We loved our little guy so much! We know it was time, however, and we didn't want to see him suffer. We know he's at peace and safe in God's hands. Thank you so much again for being such a loving and special part of his life.
For our pet Cody
We would like to thank you for your concern and care of our beloved "Boomer" all the way to the end. We so appreciated your empathy and extra special TLC on our last visit with him. I now have a cherished memory of Boomer at peace and pain free.
For our beloved Boomer
We would like to thank all of you for the years of wonderful care and compassion you have given to our pets. They would not have made it to 21 and 15 without your help. A special thanks to Dr. McNabb and Tora for taking the time to make a difficult situation a little easier for us. Someday we will be back with new member(s) of our family. Thanks again.
For our pets
I would like to thank you for the great care you have always given our cat, Precious. She was so special to me, and as an animal lover, I loved her so much. But it came to this time she needed peace. Thank you again for being so kind and gentle to her and going out of your way for me.
For our cat Precious
We deeply appreciate the wonderful care Dr. McNabb provided our Morgan for her entire life of 14 years, 7 months. We could not have had better veterinary and clinical care, anywhere. Everyone at East Hills always offered Morgan superior care. We are so grateful for this. You are a significant part of the memories we will have and cherish, forever, of Morgan. Thank you from deep in our hearts. You are the best!